Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 1 - Tokyo

SF's Studio Apartment in the heart of Tokyo City (Near Roppongi)
.
SF is really nice to me, as he gave the whole studio apartment for me to use, and he and his parents (who happened to visit Japan also) were staying at his girlfriend (who was out of town) studio apartment in the same building.
.
While the studio apartment is not big, it has all the necessary things. It is only 3mins walk away from the nearest metro station, and it has the view of Tokyo tower. It was nice to see Tokyo Tower lighted up in the night. And the best thing I like about the apartment:

Toilet Bowl!!!
.
The Seat is always warm (felt great sitting on it in a cold climate) and it has different kind of spray for cleaning. You can try different combinations like Soft Spray & Oscillating, Bidet & Pulsating, or Spray & Oscillating & Pulsating. You got what I mean. Lastly, after all that spraying, there is a power deodorizer AND a dryer feature! 
Amazing!!
.
What more can you ask for?
.
.
.
My first meal in Japan
Home-cooked Noodle prepared by SF's parents.
=)
.
.
.
Tokyo Metro Building
Free view at 45th Story, however, it was foggy on that day.
.
.
.
I decided to wander on the street without knowing where I was going.
Just wanted to get away from the crowd... then, I chanced upon some beautiful houses...

Rustic and Natural in Tokyo City!
.
.
.
Simply Beautiful...
.
.
.
After the slow and carefree stroll, I decided to go Shibuya.

World Famous Shibuya Crossing
.
.
.
Cool!!!
.
.
.
 There are alot of things I like about Japan:
Recycle Bins outside every convenient store.
They are so GREEN! Love it!
No Dustbin on the Street, but the Street is still very clean.
Impressive.
.
.
.
No smoking on the walkway.
.
.
.
Vending Machines in the Metro Station (Selling Ice-cream, Coffees & other Drinks).
And the train is still very clean. Impressive!
.
.
.
Uniquely Japan Innovation
Petrol Kiosk with the pumping-pistol hanging in the air.
To save space in the land-scarce Tokyo.
.
.
.
As the next day was a holiday, SF brought me to join his colleagues gathering: 
German Bar @ Roppongi Area.
It was a cosy bar, and the German owner has been operating for 20-30 years. The crowd was the expatriates living in Tokyo (did not hear anybody speaking Japanese). Being a German Bar, the food served was German Sausages and Steak, and there was only one vegetarian item on the menu.
.
My initial thought was it would be those boiled and bland vege dish, but it turned out to be very nice. I was pleasantly surprised that the owner took effort to add different spices to different veges. It was DELICIOUS!
.
After the dinner and some beers, I played "Liar's Dice" with SF's Colleagues - Traders armed with Phd from MIT, Harvard etc...  I must say that I enjoyed the game very much, and it was great to play with brilliant minds.
 .
.
.
After the German Bar, we went Club-hopping in Roppongi Roppongi:

Club-hopping in Tokyo
.
One of the Clubs entrance fee was 3,500 Yen (S$52), and it was supposedly a place where the Japanese Models would meet the hedge fund managers to get hooked up. The guys were all in suits, and my outfit was totally wrong. Haha...  The music was contemporary and good, and the crowd was good too.
.
Enjoyed my first night thoroughly.
=)

3 comments:

  1. Great observations dude. Can see their efforts on going green and living with scarcity. I read somewhere that the nihon city planners designate convenience stores as garbage collection points. hence, there is no guesswork as to where a dustbin may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ZW! your research is always so thorough, and I always get to learn new things from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the petrol pump was ingenious! mmmm uber innovative~! :)

    ReplyDelete