Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 5 - Kyoto

TO-JI

To-Ji has a famous pagoda.
"The pagoda of Tō-ji stands 54.8 m high, and is the tallest wooden tower in Japan. It dates from the Edo period, when it was rebuilt by order of the third Tokugawa Shogun, Iemitsu. The pagoda has been, and continues to be, a symbol of Kyoto. Entrance into the pagoda itself is permitted only a few days a year."

Well, I decided to visit this monument not because of the Tower, but because there is a flea market on the first sunday of every month. I wanted to see the flea market more than the pagoda.

 
A Flea Market in a Historical Site. Really cool!
Top Right: I decided to cycle around Kyoto City after taking public transport the previous day, and it turned out to be a very wise choice. I totally enjoyed cycling in Kyoto, and I felt more connected to my surrounding.
.
.
.
I really like the flea market, as it was selling alot of antiques and old toys. 
It reminded me of my childhood days.

Retro Model Train
.
.
.
Astro-Boy!!!
I like it alot, but I think it is too expensive. The price tag is 12,000 Yen (S$180). This reminded me that I am in Japan, and things do not come cheap.
.
.
.

Retro-Toys
=D
.
.
.
Buddha in a Box
.
.
.
Pencil Sharpener
I got one of these when I was really young.
Price Tag: 2,500 Yen (S$37.50)
.
.
.

More Toys. =)
.
.
.
Looks like HMV's Dog
.
.
.
Retro-TV
.
.
.
Lorry with Wings!!!
Damn cool.
.
.
.

Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva
.
As this is a Buddhist Temple, you find Buddhist Statues beside the stalls. Cool!
.
.
.
FUSHIMI INARI-TAISHA

"Fushimi Inari Taisha (伏見稲荷大社) is the head shrine of Inari, located in Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Japan. The shrine sits at the base of a mountain also named Inari, and includes trails up the mountain to many smaller shrines. Because Inari is the god of business, each of the Torii is donated by a Japanese business. Merchants and manufacturers worship Inari for wealth. Donated torii lining footpaths are part of the scenic view."

Lotsa Torii
.
.
.
I love the striking orange colour!
.
.
.
Shinto Shrine
.
.
.
SANJUSANGENDO

"Sanjūsangendō (三十三間堂 lit. thirty-three ken (length) hall) is a Buddhist temple in Higashiyama District of Kyoto, Japan. Officially known as "Rengeō-in" (蓮華王院), or Hall of the Lotus King, Sanjūsangen-dō belongs to and is run by the Myoho-in temple, a part of the Tendai school of Buddhism."

This is an AMAZING temple. I almost missed it until a good friend recommended it to me, saying that he thinks I would like it. He is so right - I LOVE it.
.
No Photography allowed, so below are the photos taken from the web:

The 1001 wooden Kannon (Avalokiteśvara Bodhisattva) statues are simply beautiful and stunning.
I was awestruck by these 800 years-old statues.
.
.
.

Outside the Temple that houses the 1001 Kannon
.
.
.
Zen Symmetry
.
.
.

.
.
.

.
.
.
Simple yet Beautiful
.
.
.
KIYOMIZU-DERA

"Kiyomizu-dera (清水寺), known more fully as Otowa-san Kiyomizu-dera (音羽山清水寺) is an independent Buddhist temple in eastern Kyoto. The temple is part of the Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (Kyoto, Uji and Otsu Cities) UNESCO World Heritage site."

My friends highly recommended this temple which is one of the famous temples in Kyoto. Unfortunately, I could not appreciate it, as I was visiting the temple during the Golden Week Holiday in Japan. It was just too crowded and noisy for me to appreciate the temple. Plus, I parked my bicycle illegally, hence, I was in a hurry to look around, take some photos and f*** off.

I think this temple would be nice if it is not crowded.
Look at the Crowd!!!
.
.
.
Geisha
(Not sure if they are real Geisha, but the one on the left is not too pretty)
.
.
.
NANZEN-JI

"Nanzen-ji (南禅寺, Nanzen-ji), or Zuiryusan Nanzen-ji, formerly Zenrin-ji (禅林寺, Zenrin-ji), is a Zen Buddhist temple in Kyoto, Japan.[1] Emperor Kameyama established it in 1291 on the site of his previous detached palace. It is also the headquarters of the Nanzen-ji branch of Rinzai Zen. Zenkei Shibayama, who provided a popular commentary on the Mumonkan, was an abbot of the monastery."





南禅寺, Nanzen-ji
.
.
.
Green Maple Leaves
.
.
.
Typical, but beautiful Temple
I love see the temple and the environment in harmony
.
.
.
Symmetry
.
.
.

Moss
.
.
.
PHILOSOPHER'S WALK

"The Philosopher's Walk (哲学の道, Tetsugaku no Michi?) follows a cherry-tree-lined canal in Kyoto, between Ginkaku-ji and Nyakuōji-jinja. The route is so-named because a Kyoto University philosophy professor, Nishida Kitaro, is thought to have used it for daily meditation. It passes several temples and shrines such as Hōnen-in, Ōtoyo Shrine, and Eikan-dō Zenrin-ji."


哲学の道
.
.
.
Pretty Nice Walk
.
.
.
KYOTO IMPERIAL PALACE PARK

Just me & my bicycle.
I LOVE the Huge Park.
.
.
.
CYCLYING IN KYOTO CITY

I enjoyed my day thoroughly on the bicycle. I regretted not cycling the previous day.
Firstly, I felt more connected with the surrounding. See more, Smell more, Hear more.
Secondly, there is a great sense of freedom - do not need to wait for bus/train, do not need to squeeze with people, and I can just park my bicycle literally everywhere.
Thirdly, Kyoto is cycling-friendly City - there is designated lane for cyclist, and the cyclist is allowed on the pedestrian pavement also.
Fourthly, it is good exercise.
Finally, it is GREEN!!!
.
.
.
PUBLIC BATH

"Sentō (銭湯) is a type of Japanese communal bath house where customers pay for entrance. Traditionally these bath houses have been quite utilitarian, with one large room separating the sexes by a tall barrier, and on both sides, usually a minimum of lined up faucets and a single large bath for the already washed bathers to sit in among others."

This Sento has natural spring water from the mountain.
It was a new experience. However, I found the water in the baths to be too hot for comfort. It reached a point I could hardly move my fingers. After the hot bath, my whole body was hot and red - felt really tired after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment