Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 11 - Tokyo

GINZA

"Ginza (銀座) is a district of Chūō, Tokyo, located south of Yaesu and Kyōbashi, west of Tsukiji, east of Yūrakuchō and Uchisaiwaichō, and north of Shinbashi. It is known as an upscale area of Tokyo with numerous department stores, boutiques, restaurants and coffeehouses. It is recognized as one of the most luxurious shopping districts in the world. Many upscale fashion clothing flagship stores are located here. Prominent are Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Gucci."


Ginza
.
.
.
Road-closure for shoppers on Sunday.
.
I was not too impressed by Ginza. Yes, I saw alot of flagship stores and i was not interested in them. It was a commercial district, period.
.
.
.
DeBeers is really good at marketing and created the perceived value of diamond.
Yes, Diamond is forever, and it has NO RESALE value.
.
Reasons not to buy diamond:
1. It is just marketing. The whole “A Diamond is Forever” and the idea of a diamond engagement ring is not an ancient tradition to be revered and followed. 
2. Diamonds aren’t rare.De Beers has a huge vault where they keep most of the world’s supply of diamonds.
3. Diamonds have no resale value. The reason a “diamond is forever” is because you’re basically stuck with it. You’ll never be able to resell it except to a pawn shop.
4. Conflict/blood diamonds are used by rebel groups to fuel conflict and civil wars, and by terrorist groups to finance their activities.
5. Children in India are cutting and polishing the diamonds.
6. Children in conflict zones are being used as soldiers.
.
.
.

I like the idea of using recycled materials, and the designs are great, but it is quite expensive.
.
.
.
OMOTE SANDO HILL

I felt Ginza to be too commercial and boring, hence, I decided to re-visit the alleys behind Omote Sando Hill. There is an outburst of creativity in this street that I find very attractive and overwhelming. There are alot of shops opened by Japanese designers and artists. This is my favourite place in Tokyo City. I felt that I was visiting a living art gallery, instead of a shopping district.

One of the shops.
Lotsa creative and nice designs, but the price is "nice" also.
.
.
.
I like the idea of cycling there on a saturday morning to have a breakfast on the street.
.
.
.

Moo and Bike
.
.
.
Aircon or Art Piece?
.
.
.
Fusion or Trash?
.
.
.
Europe?
.
.
.

Graffiti or Art?
.
.
.
Pipe or Art?
.
.
.

Concrete & Steel Building
.
.
.
Rubbish or Art?
.
.
.

Vending Machine
.
.
.

Retro?
.
.
.
Granny in Vogue
.
.
.
Country Life
.
.
.
Uniqlo is Amazing at marketing.
It does not have any shop there, but it never fails to advertise and try to identify itself with this trendy crowd. Prior to visiting Japan, I read about the success of Uniqlo in a business magazine. The owner is one of the richest man in Japan and Uniqlo is expanding aggressively in the recession period. I could not comprehend until I bought quite alot of things from there. Now, I am fan.
.
Reasons:
1. Good Marketing
2. Good Location
3. Clean Decoration
4. Good Design
5. Good Service
6. Good Quality
Finally,
7. CHEAP!!!
.
.
Catwalk
.
.
.
Trendy Crowd
I enjoyed looking that the people on the street, as they are trendy in the sense that they don't follow trend. Everybody has their own style, and that's really interesting.
.
.
.

Revolving Underwear
.
.
.

Outdoor apparels shop.
Look at the trees, staircase, swing etc... I could feel the excitement of being outdoor.
.
.
.
Old wooden house brought into the City.
BTW, the person in the pic is a guy.
.
.
.

Colourful Roadbikes
I love to see people cycling in Tokyo.
.
.
.
Coffee in a Garage?
.
.
.
When I was tired, I would do this:

Just sit down and look at people.
It is interesting to observe people.
.
.
.
SHIBUYA

The famous cross-road of Shibuya
.
.
.
Kinky Stuff???
.
.
.
My last night in Japan:

Gathering with some old friends in Roppongi.
That's the best way to end a trip. =)
.
.
.
After the drink, SF and I walked slowly back to his apartment.
I was such a wonderful feeling to walk in a foreign land with a good friend, and talked about anything under the sky. Great Trip!

2 comments:

  1. Wow you really explored the back alleys of Omotesando well! I missed out so many fun stuffs~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. There is always NEXT TIME! =)

    ReplyDelete